Do you have a piece by Amedeo Modigliani in your possession and would like to know its value? Our Experts will carry out a free appraisal of your piece, provide you with an estimate of the market price, and then help you to sell at the best possible price.
Status, estimation and price of the artist Amedeo Modigliani
Price of a painting: 28,000 – 116,000,000 €.
Price of a drawing: 16,000 – 1 100,000 €.
Estimation of a print: 50 – 1 900 €.
Price of a sculpture: 2 200 – 50,000,000 €.
If you would like to have a work by Amedeo Modigliani appraised, our experts will take care of everything.
Training and sculpture
Amedeo Modigliani was an Italian sculptor and figurative painter from the École de Paris. He was born in Livorno on 12 July 1884 and died in Paris on 24 January 1920.
From 1914 onwards, he abandoned sculpture for drawing and painting nudes and portraits.
Amedeo Modigliani’s childhood was sadly rocked by illness and poverty. He suffered from typhoid and pleurisy. In 1900 his pulmonary weakness turned into tuberculosis and for medical reasons he went to Capri, Naples and Florence for convalescence, accompanied by his mother.
He enrolled at the Free School of the Nude at the Academy of Fine Arts in Florence, under the teaching of Professor Giovanni Fattori, leader of the Macchiaioli and then at the Institute of Arts in Venice in 1902.
In 1906, Amedeo Modigliani moved to Montmartre where he found inspiration from Toulouse-Lautrec, Paul Cézanne and Pablo Picasso. In 1910 he met the Russian poet Anna Akhmatova with whom he had an affair and who inspired him to draw and paint.
Amadeo Modigliani exhibited his works at the Salon d’Automne in 1912 where he discovered the sculptures of Jacob Epstein and Jacques Lipchitz.
Painting and delicate health
His poor health forced him to abandon sculpture due to the dust and fatigue. His headquarters is at La Ruche in Montparnasse where he paints portraits of Jean Cocteau, Diego Riviera and the great Juan Gris. His respiratory insufficiency prevented him from enlisting during the First World War and he spent his years in the “Picasso gang” drinking and creating.
His alcohol problems disrupted his love life, and the cultured and shy artist would turn into a sullen and violent man when drunk.
At his first solo exhibition in December 1917, the curator interrupted the opening of the exhibition because some of the works were described as indecent exposure. Berthe Weill, the gallery owner, persisted and kept the exhibition going until the end, but no paintings were sold as a result of the scandal. Modigliani had a love affair with Jeanne Hébuterne, the daughter of a bourgeois family, and fathered a child with her in 1918. It was during this period that he painted the few landscapes of his artistic career.
At the end of 1919, his health weakened dangerously and he painted his final self-portrait.
Amadeo Modigliani died of tuberculosis in January 1920. His young lover, Jeanne, nine months pregnant with their second child, committed suicide two days later.
Modigliani’s Reclining Nude was sold for $26.7 million at Sotheby’s in 2013.
Recognising Amedeo Modigliani’s signature
Like many artists, Modigliani did not sign all of his works. However, you will find below an example of the signatures to give you an idea. Variations of these signatures do exist, do not hesitate to contact one of our experts to formally authenticate a signature.
Appraising and selling a piece by Amedeo Modigliani
If you own a piece by Amedeo Modigliani or any other object, ask for a free estimate via our online form.
You will then be contacted by a member of our team of experts and auctioneers to give you an independent view of the market price of your piece. In the context of a possible sale, our specialists will also advise you on the different options available to sell your work at the best price.
- ADAMI, Valerio (1935)
- Alechinsky, Pierre (1927)
- Arp, Hans (1886-1966)
- Bacon, Francis (1909-1992)
- Balthus, (1908-2001)
- Banksy, (1974)
- Barcelo, Miquel (1957)
- Basquiat, Jean-Michel (1960-1988)
- Beckmann, Max (1884-1950)
- Bellmer, Hans (1902-1975)
- Benson, Frank Benson (1862-1951)
- Béraud, Jean (1849-1935)
- Boetti, Alighiero (1940-1994)
- Boilly, Louis Leopold (1761-1845)
- Bonnard, Pierre (1867-1947)
- Boucher, François (1703-1770)
- Boudin, Eugène (1824-1898)
- Bourgeois, Louise (1911-2010)
- Braque, Georges (1882-1963)
- Brasilier, André (1929)
- Brauner, Victor (1903-1966)
- Brueghel l’Ancien, Jan (1568-1625)
- Buffet, Bernard (1958-1999)
- Bugatti, Rembrandt (1884-1916)
- Calder, Alexander (1898-1976)
- Chagall, Marc (1887-1985)
- CHRISTO, (1935)
- Chu Teh-Chun, (1924-2014)
- Claudel, Camille (1864-1943)
- COROT, Jean Baptiste Camille (1796-1875)
- Courbet, Gustave (1819-1877)
- Dali, Salvador (1904-1989)
- De Goya, Francisco (1746-1828)
- De Lempicka, Tamara (1898-1980)
- De Staël, Nicolas (1914-1955)
- De TOULOUSE-LAUTREC, Henri (1864-1901)
- Debré, Olivier (1920-1999)
- Degas, Edgar (1834-1917)
- Delaunay, Robert (1885-1941)
- DELAUNAY, Sonia (1885-1979)
- Delvaux, Paul (1897-1994)
- DERAIN, ANDRE (1880-1954)
- Dinet, Etienne Alphonse (1861-1929)
- Domergue, Jean Gabriel (1889 - 1962)
- Dubuffet, Jean (1901-1985)
- Duchamp, Marcel (1887-1968)
- Dufy, Raoul (1877-1953)
- Dunand, Jean (1877-1942)
- DUPRÉ, Julien (1851-1910)
- Elsley, Arthur John (1860-1952)
- Ensor, James (1860-1949)
- Ernst, Max (1891-1976)
- Fantin-Latour, Henri-Théodore (1836-1904)
- Fontana, Lucio (1899-1968)
- FOUJITA, Léonard Tsuguharu (1886-1968)
- Gauguin, Paul (1848-1903)
- Géricault, Théodore (1791-1824)
- Giacometti, Alberto (1901-1966)
- Giacometti, Diego (1902-1985)
- GILBERT, Victor (1847-1935)
- Gorky, Arshile (1904-1948)
- Gris, Juan (1887-1927)
- Hartung, Hans (1904-1989)
- Hirst, Damien (1965)
- Hockney, David (1937)
- Holder, Ferdinand (1853-1918)
- Ingres, Jean-Auguste-Dominique (1780-1867)
- Kapoor, Anish (1954)
- Kiefer, Anselm (1945)
- Kirchner, Ernst Ludwig (1880-1938)
- Kisling, Moïse (1891-1953)
- Klee, Paul (1879-1940)
- Klein, Yves (1928-1962)
- KLIMT, Gustav (1862-1918)
- Kokoschka, Oskar (1886-1980)
- Koons, Jeff (1955)
- Korovine, Constantin (1861-1939)
- Kusama, Yayoi (1929)
- Lalanne, Claude (1924-2019)
- Lalique, René (1860-1945)
- Lam, Wifredo (1902-1982)
- Le Douanier Rousseau, Henri (1844-1910)
- LE MAYEUR, Adrien-Jean (1880-1958)
- Le Pho, (1907-2001)
- Léger, Fernand (1881-1955)
- Liebermann, Max (1847-1935)
- Majorelle, Jacques (1886-1962)
- Manzoni, Piero (1933-1963)
- Marini, Marino (1901-1980)
- Marquet, Albert (1875-1947)
- Martin, Henri (1860-1943)
- Mathieu, Georges (1921-2012)
- Matisse, Henri (1869-1954)
- Maufra, Maxime (1879-1918)
- Miklos, Gustave (1888-1967)
- Miró, Joan (1893-1933)
- Mitchell, Joan (1926-1992)
- Monet, Claude (1840-1926)
- Morandi, Giorgio (1890-1964)
- Moreau, Gustave (1926-1898)
- Morisot, Berthe (1841-1895)
- Motherwell, Robert (1915-1991)
- Murakami, Takashi (1962)
- Nolde, Emile (1867-1956)
- Picabia, Francis (1879-1953)
- Picasso, Pablo (1881-1973)
- Pissarro, Camille (1830-1903)
- Poliakoff, Serge (1900-1969)
- Pollock, Jackson (1912-1956)
- Raza, Sayed Haider (1922 - 2016)
- Redon, Odilon (1840-1916)
- Reinhardt, Ad (1913-1967)
- Renoir, Auguste (1841-1919)
- Richier, Germaine (1904-1959)
- Richter, Gerhard (1932)
- Riopelle, Jean-Paul (1923-2002)
- Rodin, Auguste (1840-1917)
- Rothko, Mark (1903-1970)
- Rubens, Peter Paul (1577-1640)
- Rubin, Reuven (1893-1974)
- Sanyu, (1895-1966)
- Sargent, John Singer (1856-1925)
- Seurat, Georges (1859-1891)
- Signac, Paul (1963-1935)
- Sisley, Alfred (1839-1899)
- Soulages, Pierre (1919)
- SPILLIAERT, Léon (1881-1946)
- Szafran, Sam (1934)
- Torres Garcia, Joaquin (1874-1949)
- Turner, William (1775-1851)
- Twombly, Cy (1928-2011)
- Valdés, Manolo (1942)
- Vallotton, Félix (1865-1925)
- Valmier, Georges (1885-1937)
- Van Dongen, Kees (1877-1968)
- VASARELY, Victor (1906-1997)
- Vernet, Joseph (1714-1789)
- Vieira Da Silva, Maria Elena (1908-1992)
- Vuillard, Edouard (1868-1941)
- Warhol, Andy (1928-1987)
- Zao Wou Ki, (1920-2013)